Sunday, October 9, 2011

Brian: Morning's Light

Today:
There is something amazing about sunlight, especially as it marks the end or the beginning of a new day. I love sunsets. I love sun rises. I love the colors. I love the peace they bring. I love how the light looks on the plants, trees, houses and people. The shadows are long and dark; they contrast greatly with everything the light touches. It is beautiful to see these stark contrasts. They make the world seem more vibrant. The scene reminds me of God's majesty and love.

On my mission:
I remember rolling out of bed and realizing that I was all alone. This was something strange and foreign to me, considering that all missionaries have to be within sight and sound of their companion at all times. My companion had left early that morning to catch a bus out of country. He was headed to the city of Narva in Estonia to renew his visa. We had received special permission for him to travel alone, upon the condition that I would immediately report to my district leader's apartment after waking up. I got dressed and in the early morning darkness. I found my way on and off a few buses, onto the metro, and to the front door my my district leader's apartment. I was exhausted, not only physically, but my spirits were down. My companion was depressed, we rarely left the apartment to do missionary work, and I didn't know what to do. I needed to somehow be revitalized. The weak prior, Elder Kitchen, my district leader had given me his extra key to his apartment so I could enter without waking anyone. I quietly came in, found the couch in the far room, and collapsed onto its soft cushions. Sleep enveloped me. 

I suddenly awoke to the excited voice and shaking of Elder Williams. He said, "Pearce, you got to see this". I thought, right now nothing could be more interesting than the insides of my eyelids, but I got up, and I am glad I did. We quickly went down to the kitchen on the other end off the small apartment and out to the balcony and looked at the sky. I had never seen anything quite like it. That morning, in the dark dirty city God had lite up his morning sky with the most breath taking sight. I ran and grabbed my camera. The whole sky was filled with clouds painted purple and pink. Inside I felt something warm. I felt luck that I could see this simple and beautiful part of God's handy work. 

I know this is a simple story and to other it may seem meaningless, but to me it was a tender mercy. I felt that God blesses all of his children. He wants them to see beauty, feel love, and to come back to him. 

I know that God lives and loves us. This world is a cacophony of bitter and sweet, light and dark, good and evil. It is our job to recognize the good, learn to resist the evil, and thereby return to our Heavenly Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment